End-to-end encryption is the “feature” you're looking for
WhatsApp has end-to-end encryption which gets a big thumbs up 👍. This means that the content of your messages can only be seen by you—the sender—and the person(s) you send it to. The content can't be seen by WhatsApp. However, they can see all the metadata. Metadata means things like:
- Where you use the app
- When you use the app
- Who you send messages to
- What time you send messages
- The amount of messages
- The type of message (text, image, video, GIF)
- Etc, etc
And, because it's WhatsApp and they're part of the Facebook Group, guess who they share their data with. That's right.
Try these alternatives:
- Wire is meant to be super secure and looks to be more aimed at the work environment.
- Signal is meant to be the most secure.
- Antidote for iOS and Antox for Android are clients for Tox which is a free and Open Source messaging project that is encrypted and distributed to keep all your conversations safe.
- Telegram uses end-to-end encryption.